Sunday, January 29, 2006

Behold: The Dog Year has arrived!

Yes. A new post on a new day of the new year. Isn't it great? I don't think so.

Friday was well-spent with a close-knit group of friends at Tocil on a steamboat dinner. Let's back-track before I start on how nice the dinner was. Like last week, the classes were stretched from 12pm to 5pm. As usual, I would skip Games and Decisions for obvious reasons, so I wasn't that tired after all that blaffering. Anyway, it was raining when we stepped out of the building. And so it happens that I have to go to Tesco with my future housemates (minus one). To make matters worse, it was raining heavier than the other days, though not as heavy as the weather back home. I was browsing through magazines in the supermarket while waiting for them to come from their classes. Then I went out to wait. They were walking with 3 other HK people, clueless who they were. We then set out to do our shopping. At the vege section, I was standing next to another HK guy who I used to think he was a Japanese guy, and while my (future) housemates talked to their HK friends, they started laughing uncontrollably. James then gave away the news that I looked a lot like the other HK guy, and it was just like a mirror image then. OH well... Anyway, we had things finished and paid for about 30 minutes later. It was alright.

Then came the cooking bit. Damn. Shan was really good at making the soup base. And guess what? It wasn't just one soup, there were 2 types of soup. One chicken stock soup, and the other prawn soup. Really nice. In total, we were 7 people, and we had fun chatting while eating. Well, the best part was when we were talking rubbish after we all finished the steamboat, and were working our way through our 'tang yuen' Ukeat got from Chinatown, some ready-made cakes from Tesco, and a honeydew and a pomelo, after such a filling serving of meat and vege selections in boiling soup. I was basically really happy then. Oh, I have to mention this part. My other (future) housemate did not turn up for the steamboat dinner, but we were so surprised and touched when she left us some of her 'infamous' popcorn that she made for us (which we also loved) with a small note wishing us "Happy New Year or Lunar New Year to you! =)". Too bad she was leaving for home that day.

After all that, I wasn't up for the washing up, so I was in Shan's room all the while (hehe). Some of them left early, especially James who was not feeling so good that night (and in fact, some nights before that. We really thank you for the curry chicken!), and some stayed on. Well, it was me and Sheryl who stayed on longer. We were chatting really well with Shan till the wee hours of about 2 in the morning (one of her flat mates joined our chitty chats sometime before we left).

I slept till 11am the next morning. (I don't know why I have a 'thing' for waking up at 5am every morning these days, sighs...). Since there were nothing that we could do, I stayed in my room, transferring some television series into my computer from a portable hard disk my friend lent me. Since it took so much space in my computer, I decided to watch something, so I could delete something off my computer's hard drive, and that was Desperate Housewives (desperate, ain't I?). Season One, episodes from 1 to 11, straight down till 10pm. Whoa. Phew. But the suspense was there. It wasn't that bad. I love doing that. Haha! Pity me, how boring can life get? Oh yeah, and tomorrow is the first day of New Year! A day wasted like that. Sighs. And I burnt my left thumb just because I was holding my micro lasagne dinner with my left hand, and holding the water filter on my right. Sheesh!

So now, it's the new day of a new year. In fact, the dog year. How fast years pass, how fast it flies by like that. In a matter of time, we'll already become old hags, who would look upon our young and innocent lives, how much happiness we've cherished, and how much sadness we've experienced. How fast our grandchildren grows, and how old our children had grown. Time. Oh well. That's life. So I awoke at 11am again, waking up at 5am, and not being able to sleep well (yes, rolling in my bed) till 11am. I ate brunch, and not long later, my family called. How happy I was! Just by the voices and the usual sounds that are usually heard in my grandmother's house, just brings back the memories. How I wished I was there in person to wish my whole family a Happy New Year. How depressing. Anyway, after all that, I had the urge to go out today. I can't be staying in my room, not doing anything for New Year?! So I contacted Shan and James right after my call on MSN. It wasn't promising, but at least tonight we're going to visit a food fest, just to see what kinds of food they're selling.

Missing home...

No comments:

Post a Comment